Post Operative Care: Fillings
- You will be numb for about 2 hours after the completion of your appointment. Please do not eat or drink anything hot, to avoid burning and biting on the numb part of your mouth. If you have received a silver amalgam filling please do not eat anything hard for twenty-four hours, you can eat a soft diet over the silver amalgam fillings after the numbness has worn off. The white composite fillings are completely hard by the time you leave the office, and you can eat right away on the white fillings after the numbness is gone.
- Once the numbness has worn off, you will be sore for a few days in your gums and your mouth from staying open during the procedure.
- Hot and cold sensitivity from 2 to 7 days is normal, it usually will subside. Please call the office if you have any further questions.
- If after your numbness has worn off, you find it hard to bite down, it means your bite is off, and it needs adjustment. Please call the office right away.
- If you were told your cavity was deep your sensitivity will last longer than a week. you will feel a dull toothache that can last up to 6 weeks. If you feel that your tooth is constantly throbbing and is not getting better, then your nerve in the tooth is damaged from the bacteria penetrating into the nerve from the deep cavity. This will need to be treated and we call this the root canal treatment.